James A. Swallow
Professional Work Experience
2002 – Present The Packinghouse Gallery and Photography Studio Inc
Gallery Manager/ Owner
- In charge of and performed all aspects of gallery work – photographer, framer,
master printer, web designer teacher, photography organization leader,
gallery sales associate
- Principle studio photographer – portraits, commercial product, weddings, bar mitzvahs, business imaging
- Handled all marketing aspects – designed & implemented mailers; hosted all exhibits and artist receptions at gallery
- Taught photography classes and hosted photography club
- The Packinghouse Gallery closed its physical building in 2005.
Relocated to a home-based photography studio in St. Petersburg.
Services continue at the gallery – photographers’ web design, custom printing, framing, private or group photography and digital imaging classes.
1982 – 2002 Wilco Studio Pompano Beach, FL
- Learned & performed all duties of a full-service professional studio.
- Printed all studio production in black and white darkroom.
- Handled all aspects of custom framing – cutting, mats, glass, frames, production, presentation of final product, from photography to needle point.
- Split photography duties with owner – commercial photography,
children’s and family portraits, weddings, bar mitzvahs, architectural, interiors.
- In charge of quality control and production staff.
- Helped owner grow business and became the manager when a second location was opened.
Professional Associations Affiliations
- The Professional Photographers of America; 1980 – Present
- The Florida Professional Photographers Association; 1987 – Present
- Tampa Area Professional Photographers Association; 2002 – Present
- The Wedding Portrait Photographers International; 1980 – Present
- The National Association of Photoshop Professionals 1998- Present
Photographic Community Involvement
The Photographic Art Society of Florida 2006
- Launched the society in order to inspire, challenge and educate the members in the art of photography.
- Runs meetings, maintains the web site, and teaches photography and Photoshop
- Plans and hosts monthly teaching field trips
- Members exhibit works in area galleries with rotating themes
- Assists members with printing, framing, presentation and selection of images for exhibits.
Photography Clubs Day
A new annual event to be held at Heritage Village in Largo for Tampa Bay photography organizations, designed to gather area photographers in order to share ideas and inspire skills.
Professional Photography Service to Education
Volunteer judge for Skills USA Regional Competition in 2009
Advisory committee member for the photography program at McFatter Vocational School from 1997-2000
March of Dimes, Daily Bread Food Bank, Abilities Foundation, Boy Scouts of America, The American Cancer Society. Provided photographic services and coordinated other photographers for events for many years.
Annual FOTOFusion Photo Festival
The Palm Beach Photographic Center – Coordinated meetings, speakers, world-renowned photographers and A/V team
for successful festivals since 1996.
The Palm Beach Professional Photographers Association — 1998-2001
Secretary, Board of Directors, committee member.
The Professional Photographers Guild of Florida (PPGF) —1990 – 2002
- Board of Directors (1995-2002); President (1997-1998);
- Modernized Standard Operating Guild;
- Created Community Service Committee to help area charities with photography needs (1995)
- Chairman of Committees (1995-2002): Community Service; Ethics; Programs; Seminars; Hospitality; Events; Marketing & Advertising; Membership; Publications; Historian (rebuilt the associations history books to preserve the past for future photographers); Salon Committee
Florida Professional Photographers Association – Delegate (1995 until 2002)
- Convention Assistant Manager – oversaw 14 committees
- Chair of the Equipment committee, Chair of the Seminar committee and worked on various other committees
1982 –Graduate of the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale; A.S. Degree in Photography
1997 – PPA Certified Professional Photographer Degree from the Professional Photographers of America Association.
Continuing Education – attending seminars, conventions and webinars, including
The PPA National Conventions; WPPI National Conventions; Photoshop World; FPP State Conventions
2010 Working toward Adobe Certified Expert Certification.
Florida Professional Photographers Association: The Florida Service Award Degree; Outstanding Service Award (1997 & 2000); The Magazine Editors Award (1999 & 2000), Honor prints in the 1998 and 2001 competitions; the first Theresa Saylor Award, 2001.
The Professional Photographers Guild of Florida: The Presidents Award (1996 & 1999); Top 10 Photographer (1997 & 2000); Editorial Contributions (1996-1998, 2003). The Outstanding Service Award for the guild was re-named The Jim Swallow Award in 2003
Asked to judge photography club competitions throughout Florida for the past 25 years, including service as a juror for the Boyd Hill Photography Contest in 2008.